Chicken kebab souvlaki with tzatziki
Serves: 4 | Preparation time: 20 minutes | Cooking time: 45 minutes
1 garlic clove
1 small yellow pepper
1 small red pepper
baby spinach leaves
few sprigs flat-leaf parsley
¼ garlic clove
4 tbsp Greek yogurt
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
250g strong white bread flour
7g sachet fast-action dried yeast
1 tsp golden caster sugar
2 tsp oliv oil, plus a little for greasing
Souvlaki Wraps Method:
- A few hours before you want to eat, make the pitta. In a bowl, mix the flour, yeast, sugar and 1/ 2 tsp salt with your fingertips. Add 150ml lukewarm water and 2 tsp olive oil, and combine to a dough. Tip onto a work surface and knead for 8-10 mins (or use a tabletop mixer for 5 mins). Clean, then lightly oil your bowl, return the dough and cover loosely with cling film. Leave to rise for 1 hr or until nearly doubled in size.
- Divide the dough into four equal pieces. Roll out to circles, as thin as you can. Cover with sheets of oiled cling film and leave to rise for 15-20 mins.
- Heat a large frying pan (or two if you have them) over a medium-high heat and brush the breads with oil. Gently lift one into the pan. It should sizzle, and bubbles should appear on the surface after 1-2 mins. When the underside is golden, flip it and cook for another 2-3 mins. Continue until all the breads are cooked, wrapping them in foil as you go. Keep the bread warm in the bottom of the oven while you cook the chicken. Alternatively, cook on the barbecue for 5-8 mins, turning occasionally.
- Pop kebabs into a plastic box with a lid. Pare strips of lemon zest from the lemon using a vegetable peeler, then juice the lemon as well. Add both the peel and the juice to the chicken in the box along with the oregano and the garlic, crushed in. Season generously, mix and put in the fridge for 15 mins with the lid on.
*Alternatively use Tasman's marinated chicken kebabs in an range of flavours, we reccommend Greek Gyros for this recipe.
- Heat a griddle pan to high while you get the chicken out. Discard the lemon zest and cook for 10 mins, turning halfway.
- Serve the skewers hot off the griddle with the dip, or take the chicken off the skewers, leave to cool and pack into souvlaki wraps spread with a little tzatziki and rolled up with baby spinach, few picked leaves of parsley and sliced coloured peppers.
- While the skewers are cooking, make the tzatziki. Get a box grater and a bowl. Cut the cucumber into long lengths, discarding the watery seedy core. Grate into the bowl, then grate the ¼ garlic clove. Season generously and stir in the Greek yogurt. Drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil.