Serves: 6 | Preparation time: 30 mins | Cooking time: 2 hours
1kg Farm88 Yearling Beef Osso Bucco
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
½ cup flour
1 onion, peeled & chopped
1 can diced tomatoes
½ cup celery, chopped
½ cup carrot, chopped
2 bay leaves
3 tbsp butter
1 cup dry white wine
4 cups beef stock
salt & pepper
½ tsp dried thyme
white arborio rice
3 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
1 tbsp lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 160oC. Season flour and coat the Osso Bucco in the flour mixture; tapping off any excess.
- In a large pan, heat the oil and butter over medium to high heat and sear the Osso Bucco pieces on all sides for 2-3 minutes, turning bones on sides to hold in marrow. Add more oil and butter if needed. Once browned, set aside.
- Add onion, celery, carrots, garlic, bay leaves and parsley to the pan. Cook until softened, add seasoning to taste. Add the wine and reduce by about half. Add the meat and vegetable mixture to a large ovenproof dish with lid.
- Add to the dish, the can of diced tomatoes, beef stock, thyme and salt and pepper. The meat should be covered by the liquid. Heat on the stovetop until the liquid comes to boil, then cover with lid and transfer to the oven.
- Cook for 1 3/4 hours to 2 hours or until the meat is very tender and the sauce thickens. Remove pot from the oven. Strain the cooking liquid and season liquid with salt and pepper. Serve the osso bucco on a bed of Arborio white rice, sprinkle with gremolata.