Algerian Lamb Stew for Couscous
Serves: 4 | Preparation time: 10 minutes | Cooking time: 2 hours 10 minutes
Tasman whole leg of lamb ( cut into four pieces)
4 carrots, peeled and cut into big chunks
4 yellow zucchini, cut into chunks
1 cup chickpeas, soaked the night before
1 medium onion, diced
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ras el hanout spice mix
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 litre water (approx.) or 1 litre broth
3 tbsp Olivital extra virgin olive oil
- Heat the oil in a large pot, e.g. one for soup. Add the onion and the meat and let it take some colour.
- Add enough water or broth to cover the meat, usually about 1 litre. Stir in the spices.
- Add the chickpeas right now, or they will never become soft!
- Let it simmer on low for about 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, add the vegetables, make sure everything is slightly covered with water/broth. Let simmer for another hour.
- After these two hours, vegetables should be soft, and you should be able to tear apart the meat with a spoon, as this is how it is eaten!
- Check for seasoning and serve with steamed couscous!