Argentinian Beef Empanadas
Serves: 6 | Preparation time: 45 minutes | Cooking time: 25 minutes
1½ kg Tasman Pork Mince
1½ kg Tasman Regular Beef Mince
50g Olive Oil
3 onions, finely chopped
2 tbsp ground cumin
2 tbsp sweet paprika
Chilli powder, to taste
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 tbsp tomato paste
1kg puff pastry
1 cup sultanas, marinated with marsala wine
3 eggs, boiled
Green olives, cut into pieces
- Heat the oil and butter in a large saucepan over medium heat and cook the onions until light golden.
- Add the meat, cumin, paprika, chilli, salt, pepper and the tomato paste. Cook for about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool.
- Cut the pastry into 15cm diameter circles. Egg wash around each circle with a brush.
- Place 1½ tablespoons of the mince filling in the middle of each disc of pastry.
- On top of the mince, add some sultanas, olives and a slice of boiled egg. Fold over to make a semi-circle, then seal the edges. Place the empanadas on a tray and leave them in the fridge for at least 1 hour before cooking.
- Bake at 250°C for 6-7 minutes or until golden.