Asian osso bucco
Serves: 4 | Preparation time: 15mins | Cooking Time: 135mins
- 4 large meaty pieces farm88 yearling beef osso bucco (300g-350g each)
- ¼ cup (40g) plain flour, seasoned
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4cm piece fresh ginger, peeled, thinly sliced
- 6 star anise
- 160ml (2/3 cup) teriyaki marinade
- 1 tsp Sichuan peppercorns, lightly crushed
- 1 long red chilli, deseeded, finely chopped + extra, sliced, if desired
- 450g family-sized microwave brown rice, to serve
- Asian greens, to serve
- Preheat oven to 150°C (130°fan-forced). Pat osso bucco dry with paper towel. Place flour in a large snap lock bag, add beef and toss to coat. Heat oil in a large casserole dish over medium-high heat. Cook meat for 2-3 minutes each side or until browned all over.
- Add ginger, star anise, teriyaki marinade, peppercorns, chilli and enough water to just cover the meat. Season with pepper, cover and cook in oven for 2 hours-2 hours 15 minutes or until meat is tender and just coming off the bone. Remove meat from sauce and set aside on a plate loosely covered with foil. Place sauce over medum-low heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until sauce slightly thickens.
- Prepare rice according to packet instructions.
- Serve osso bucco with sauce, rice, steamed Asian greens and extra chilli, if desired
- Coating the beef in flour and browning first will add extra flavour to the dish.
- Beef cheeks would also work well in this recipe.For less heat omit the chilli and sichuan pepper.
- Skim any excess oil from the top of the sauce prior to simmering.