Roasted aromatic asian style duck
Serves: 4-6 | Preparation Time: 15 mins | Cooking Time: 40 mins per kg
1 whole Luv-a-Duck available at Tasman Butchers
½ cupsSweet soy sauce
8 cups water
½ cup char sui sauce
2 star anise
1 lemongrass and ginger tea bag
2 tbsp char sui sauce
3 Slices lemon
Spiced plum sauce
Equipment Required:1 large stock pot
1 pair tongs
1 roasting tray
1 roasting rack
1 set measuring spoons
1 measuring jug
- Pre-heat oven to 190°C
- In a large stock pot combine the sweet soy sauce , water and char sui sauce bring to the boil over a medium heat.
- Plunge the duck into pot simmering liquid and blanch 3-4 minutes. Remove duck from pot and drain well.
- Pat completely dry with paper towel inside and out.
- Place duck onto the roasting rack and place the aromatics, char sui sauce and sliced lemon inside the duck cavity.
- Using the kitchen string tie legs together loosely and turn wings under the duck.
- Place the roasting rack into the roasting dish and roast duck 190°C for 35 -40 minutes per kg or until juices run clear.
- Remove and allow duck to rest 10 -15 minutes prior to slicing and serving with Asian greens and spiced plum sauce.
Duck maybe blanched ahead of time and kept uncovered in the refrigerator until required. This also assists in drying the skin for extra crispyness.
Cooked duck maybe re-crisped in a hot oven 200°C for 10 minutes.