Authentic chicken cacciatore
Serves: 4 | Preparation Time: 10mins | Cooking time: 1hr 40min
- 6 Hazeldenes chicken Maryland
- Olive oil
- 500g button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 2 carrots, halved & sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh sage
- 150g tomato paste
- 1 cup of white wine or red wine
- 1 litre chicken stock or water
- Green olives, added in the last 10 min (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C, fan-forced.
- Liberally season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add chicken and cook until lightly browned, 3-4 minutes per side. Transfer to baking dish.
- Add another tablespoon of oil to pan and add in mushrooms and parsley. When nicely browned, place on top of chicken.
- Drizzle pan with a little olive oil, add onion, garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add carrots, sage and tomato paste. When the carrots have softened, add the wine. Allow to reduce a little before placing mixture on top of chicken. Lastly, add the chicken stock.
- Cover with foil and bake for 1 - 1½ hours or until chicken is tender.
- Serve with pasta, rice or mashed potatoes, or for a lighter side, pair with cauliflower rice, zucchini noodles or steamed vegetables. Enjoy!