Barbecued Lamb Cutlets with Spicy Yoghurt Sauce
Preparation & Cooking Time: 30 minutes
12 Tasman Traditional Lamb Cutlets
8 tbsp vegetable oil
2 cups finely chopped onions
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger
¼ tsp tumeric
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground cloves
1 cup plain yoghurt
2 tbsp coriander leaves
2 tbsp mint leaves
1 long green chilli, seeds removed and minced
1 long red chilli, seeds removed and minced
- Place half the oil in a medium saucepan and heat gently.
- Add the onion and a pinch of sea salt and fry for 15-20 minutes, stirring constantly so the onion doesn't stick and burn, or until it turns light brown.
- Add the garlic and ginger and fry for a minute or so.
- Add the tumeric, cinnamon and cloves and stir for a moment, then add the yoghurt and remove from the heat.
- Transfer the onion mix to a blender and puree until smooth. Keep sauce warm.
- Heat a barbecue or grill to hot.
- Season the lamb with salt and brush with the remaining oil.
- Grill the lamb for about 3 minutes on each side or until cooked to your liking.
- Rest the lamb for 3-5 minutes in a warm place, then pile the lamb on a plate and sprinkle with coriander, mint and chillies.
- Serve the yoghurt sauce on the side.