Beef burgers with mash and salad
Serves: 4 | Preparation time: 10 mins | Cooking Time: 40 minutes
4 Tasman pre-made beef burger patties
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
¼ tps salt
¼ tps freshly ground black pepper
1 garlic clove, grated and divided
2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
150gm cherry tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1 medium English cucumber, thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
3 cups chopped cos lettuce
1 tbsp olive oil
4 large russet potatoes
⅔ cup of milk
½ stick butter (1/4 cup)
⅔ tsp pepper
2 tsp salt
extra salt and pepper to taste
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into quarters. Put the potatoes in a pot. Add enough water to cover the potatoes and add 2 tsp salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer and cook for 25 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes into a strainer, then put them back in a pot. Cut the butter into 4 pieces, and add the butter to the potatoes. Mash the potatoes with the potato masher until all the potatoes are mashed (there are no large chunks) and the butter is incorporated into the potatoes. Sprinkle the potatoes with pepper.
- Warm the milk in a microwave for about 40 seconds or until hot. Add the milk to the potatoes and mash with the potato masher until all the milk is incorporated into the potatoes.
- Taste the potatoes and see if they have enough salt and pepper (they will almost certainly need more salt). If they need more salt and pepper, add it a little bit at a time, mashing with a potato masher to incorporate, until the amount of salt and pepper is just right.
- Combine vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and one-third of garlic in a bowl. Add dill, tomato, bell pepper, lettuce and cucumber; toss to coat.
- Add cos lettuce and oil to tomato mixture just before ready to serve and combine loosely.
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Coat with cooking spray. Add burger patties; cook 4 minutes on each side or until done. Remove from heat.
- Divide salad evenly among 4 plates and serve with patties and mash.