Chuck Beef & Mushroom Pies
Serves 6 | Preparation Time: 20 mins | Cooking Time: 170 mins
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160° fan-forced). Place beef in a large snap lock bag or dish, add half the oil, season and mix well.
- Heat a large ovenproof casserole dish over medium-high heat. Brown beef in 2 or 3 batches, setting beef aside on a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium and add remaining oil. Add garlic, leek and mushrooms and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle in flour and stir until vegetables are coated. Gradually pour in stock and add miso paste, stirring well. Return beef to dish, add thyme and stir until mixture boils. Cover casserole dish, place in oven and cook for 2 hours or until beef is very tender, removing lid for final half hour of cooking and stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in spinach. Cool for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Increase oven heat to 220°C (200° fan-forced). Place cooled beef mixture into six 1-cup (250ml) capacity ramekins/pie dishes. Top with pastry, trimming to fit and seal edges with a fork. Brush lightly with egg and make a small slit in the centre for steam to escape. Cook for 25 to 30 minutes, or until pastry is crisp and golden.
- Serve pies with mash and peas.
- It is important to cool the filling to ensure optimal flakiness in the puff pastry. If the filling is warm, it will begin to heat the pastry and make it soggy and greasy.
- Swap the mash and peas for a mixed salad in the hotter months.
- Beef casserole cuts and approximate cooking times: Chuck or boneless shin/gravy beef - 2 to 2½ hours | Topside, round, blade - 1 to 1½ hours