Beef & Red Wine Pies
- 700g Tasman Regular beef mince
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp Golden Grange Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 250g large mushrooms, sliced
- 250g button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 4 sheets frozen butter puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg yolk
- green vegetables to serve
Place mince in a bowl and mix in a little oil. Heat a large frypan, ensure it is hot. Crumble in half of the mince. Brown the mince, breaking up any lumps with a fork. Remove first batch, reheat pan and cook remaining mince and then remove.
Add onion and garlic, oil and mushrooms to pan, cook until onions and mushrooms are soft. Sprinkle in the flour and stir well. Return the mince to the pan and add the mustard, tomato paste, wine, stock and thyme leaves. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until thick.
- Preheat oven to 220 celsius. Transfer beef mixture to 4, 1 and half cup capacity ovenproof dishes, cover with pastry, pinching edges to make a frill. Brush each pie with egg yolk. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden. Serve with green vegetables.