Filipino style beef rump rice paper rolls
Serves: 4 | Preparation time: 20 mins | Cooking Time: 40 mins
- 600g Farm88 beef rump steak, trimmed
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 brown onion, sliced
- 200g sweet potato, 1cm diced
- 12 round dried rice paper wrappers
- Mint leaves
- 1 red capsicum, sliced
- 12 small lettuce leaves
- Hoisin sauce, to serve
- Chopped roasted peanuts, to serve
- Thinly slice beef and marinate with soy sauce, pepper and lemon for 30 minutes.
- Brown onion in oil in a large frying pan over medium heat, set onion aside. Drain marinade from beef and discard. Brown the beef in same pan as onion over high heat in two batches.
- Place sweet potato in a microwave safe bowl with 1 tablespoon water and cook in the microwave for 4 minutes or until tender.
- Dip a rice paper wrapper in a large bowl of cold water for 5 seconds and lay on a clean tea towel. Assemble roll, starting with mint leaves, beef, some onions capsicum, sweet potato and finish with lettuce. Wrap to enclose. Repeat. Serve with hoisin sauce sprinkled with peanuts.
- Slice beef across the grain for a more tender result.
- Wet rice paper rolls one at a time so they don't stick together.
- Place beef on the rice paper first so when you wrap them the beef will be showing.
- Switch to make: Filipino bistek, prepare the beef as above, but add 2 cloves crushed garlic to the marinade. Reserve the marinade and return to the pan with the beef and the onions after browning. Serve with rice and stir fried capsicum, snow peas and carrot.