Beef topside roast with beetroot and green beans
Serves: 6 | Preparation time: 20mins | Cooking Time: 55mins
- 1.2 kg Faem88 topside beef roast
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 4 tbsp jarred horseradish
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped, plus 2 garlic heads, halved
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 2 Spanish onions, thickly sliced
- 3 bunches baby beetroot, trimmed, and small tender leaves reserved
- 200 g baby beans, trimmed
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 250°C. Combine 2 tbsp horseradish, 1 clove chopped garlic, thyme and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a bowl, season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper, then brush over beef and set aside at room temperature to marinate for 30 minutes. Place onion and 2 garlic heads in a small roasting pan, place beef on top and place in oven, immediately reducing temperature to 200°C. Roast, basting occasionally with pan juices until cooked to your liking (45-50 minutes for medium-rare, 50-55 minutes for medium). Cover loosely with foil and set aside to rest for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place baby beetroot cut-side up in a separate roasting pan, drizzle with about 1 tbsp olive oil, season to taste, cover with foil and roast for about 40 minutes until tender, set aside.
- Blanch beans in a saucepan of boiling salted water for about 3 minutes until just tender, drain and set aside in a bowl with beetroot leaves and spinach. Just before serving, add baby beetroot, vinegar and about 1½ tbsp olive oil, season to taste and toss to combine.
- Combine sour cream, remaining horseradish and remaining chopped garlic in a bowl, season to taste. Very thinly slice the beef and serve with baby beetroot salad, roast onions form the pan, pan juices and with horseradish cream to dollop
- The beef needs to rest for at least half an hour for maximum tenderness – cover loosely with foil and then with a clean tea towel and leave in a warm place.
- This beef is best served very thinly sliced - always be sure to slice meat across the grain to maximise the tenderness even further.