Bolar blade beef roast
Serves: 6 | Preparation Time: 15 mins | Cooking time: 160 mins
- 1.2kg Farm88 yearling beef bolar blade roast, excess fat trimmed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 small brown onions, peeled, quartered
- 8 small carrots, thickly sliced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 cup (250ml) dry red wine
- 2 cups (500ml) beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 350g chat potatoes, halved
- 2 large zucchini, thickly sliced
- Steamed asparagus, green beans, peas, spinach and mint sprigs, to serve.
- Preheat oven to 160°C (140°C fan-forced). Brush beef with half the oil. Season. Heat a large ovenproof casserole dish over high heat. Cook beef for 6-8 minutes or until browned all over. Set beef aside on a plate.
- Add remaining oil to same casserole dish and reheat over medium-high heat. Cook onions, carrots and celery for 4-5 minutes or until softened. Add wine and cook for 2 minutes. Add stock, bay leaves and thyme and bring to the boil.
- Return beef and any juices to the dish, cover and cook in oven for 2 hours or until cooked to your liking, turning beef halfway through cooking. Add potatoes and zucchini to dish for remaining 30 minutes of cooking. Set beef aside on a plate loosely covered with foil to rest for 15-20 minutes.
- Pour sauce into a medium saucepan and simmer over medium-low heat for 10 minutes or until reduced by half. Remove bay leaves and thyme stalks.
- Slice beef and serve with vegetables, sauce, steamed greens and mint sprigs.