Bourbon-glazed Pork Belly Chunks
Serves: 6-8 (with other nibbles) | Preparation Time: 15 mins | Cooking Time: 3.5 hours
800g Tasman Pork Belly
200ml bourbon whiskey
1 star anise
4 tbsp tomato sauce
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp clear honey
chives & sour cream, to serve (optional)
- Heat oven to 160oC. Pour 100ml of the bourbon into a small, shallow roasting tin and add the star anise
- Season the pork belly, put in the tin and cover tightly with foil. Bake for 3 hrs.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool for at least 1 hr. You can chill the pork for up to 2 days at this stage.
- Heat oven to 200oC. Remove the pork from the tin. Using a small, sharp knife, pare away the rind from the meat, leaving a small layer of fat. Cut the meat into 2cm chunks and return to the tin. Roast for 20 mins until crisp and sizzling, turning regularly.
- Meanwhile, tip the tomato sauce, soy sauce, honey and remaining bourbon into a small pan. Set over a high heat and bubble for 5 mins until think and syrupy. Pour over the chunks of pork and toss to coat. Roast for 10 mins more until sticky.
- Snip the chives into sourcream, and serve alongside the pork chunks with cocktail sticks. Enjoy!