Braised Beef and Onions
Serves: 6 | Preparation Time: 30min | Cooking Time: 3 hrs
1kg Tasman beef chuck on the bone
Extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp salt
1 bay leaf
¾ tbsp. black papper
1 large brown onion, sliced
2 carrots, roughly chopped
2 large garlic cloves, chopped
½ tbsp dried thyme
½ tbsp dried rosemary
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 ½ cups dry white wine
1 cup water
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 165 degrees. Pat beef dry and rub all over with 1 ½ tbsp. salt and ½ tbsp. black pepper.
- Heat oil in an ovenproof heavy pot over moderately high heat until hot. Brown beef on all sides, about 15 minutes total and then transfer beef to a plate.
- Add onions to pot and sauté over moderate high heat, stirring until pale golden for about 10 minutes. Add garlic, tomato paste, rosemary, remaining ½ tbsp. salt, ¼ tsbp pepper and thyme and bay leaf for about 2 minutes.
- Add wine and water and bring to the boil. Return beef to pot, then cover tightly and braise in oven, turning once after 1 hour, until beef is very tender, 2 ½ to 3 hours total.
- Let beef stand, uncovered, in onion gravy for about 15 minutes. Cut into ½ inch thick slice and serve with onion gravy.
Serve and enjoy.