Buttermilk Pork “Popcorn” with Sriracha Mayo
Serves: 4 | Preparation Time: 20 mins | Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- 2 tbsp sea salt flakes
- 1 tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp finely ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp finely ground white pepper
- 500g pork leg, cut into 2 cm cubes
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- ¼ cup cornflour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 2½ cups panko breadcrumbs
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
- lime wedges, to serve
- 1 cup whole egg mayonnaise
- 1½ tablespoons sriracha hot chilli sauce
- 1 lime, juiced
- Combine 1 tbsp salt, Cajun seasoning, paprika, black pepper and white pepper in a large bowl.
- Add pork and toss to coat well with seasoning. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or longer if time permits.
- To make sriracha mayo, combine all ingredients in a bowl and gently stir to combine. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 120˚C/140˚C fan-forced.
- Place flour, cornflour and remaining 1 tbsp salt onto a platter.
- Lightly whisk buttermilk and egg in a shallow bowl.
- Combine breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl.
- Dust pork pieces with flour, dip into egg and evenly coat in breadcrumbs, pressing the crumb mixture into the pork. Place on a tray and chill for 15 minutes.
- Half fill a deep saucepan or deep-fryer with oil and heat over medium heat. To test if the oil is hot enough, sprinkle a few breadcrumbs into the hot oil and if they sizzle and rise to the top, the oil is ready for deep-frying.
- When hot, deep-fry pork in batches, turning occasionally, for 3-4 minutes or until golden and crisp on all sides. Transfer to a tray lined with paper towel. Keep warm in the oven.
- Place pork on a serving platter. Serve with the sriracha mayo and lime wedges. Enjoy!