Chevapi Rolls with Sweet Ajvar
Serves: 4-6 | Preparation time: 10 mins | Cooking Time: 20 mins
500g pack Tasman authentic european chevapi
4-6 bread rolls, to serve
1 cup sour cream, to serve
2 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley, to serve
1 small eggplant
2 red capsicums
2 cloves garlic
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
2 tsp honey
½ tsp salt
¼ cup olive oil
Method Sweet Ajvar:
- Prick the eggplant all over with a fork and roast with the capsicums on a hot barbecue, turning occasionally, until the skins of the eggplant and capsicum are blackened and wrinkled.
- Place in a plastic bag to cool for 15 minutes. Peel the capsicums and discard the skin. Cut the eggplant in half and scoop out the flesh, discarding the skin.
- Put capsicum, eggplant, garlic, vinegar, honey and salt in a food processor and process to a smooth paste. Gradually add the olive oil until a thick sauce forms.
- To cook, coat each cevapcici with a little olive oil and grill on a medium barbecue, turning often, until cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Toast the cut rolls on the barbecue and serve with the cevapcici, sweet ajvar, sour cream and a scattering of parsley.
Serve in warmed or grilled pita bread on a bed of chopped onions, topped with cottage cheese, fresh peppers, or tomatoes. Add a side of ajvar and fries if you fancy them.