Chicken and mushroom cacciatore
Serves: 4 | Preparation time: 20mins | Cooking Time: 1 hr
- 8x Hazeldenes chicken casserole pieces
- 400g button mushrooms, trimmed
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 rindless bacon rashers, trimmed, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ cup white wine
- 500ml tomato passata
- ⅔ cup kalamata olives
- 2 tbsp capers, drained
- ¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- crusty bread or cooked pasta to serve
- Preheat oven 180°C (fan forced). Heat a deep, large heatproof casserole dish over high heat until hot. Add 2 tsp oil and half the chicken. Cook for 3 mins each side or until golden. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with oil and remaining chicken.
- Add half the remaining oil and mushrooms to the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally for 3-5 mins or until golden. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining oil, onion and bacon to the hot pan. Cook, stirring often, for 5 mins or until onion softens. Add garlic and cook a further minute. Add wine and bring to the boil.
- Return chicken and mushrooms to the pan. Pour over tomato passata and shake the pan to allow sauce to run to the bottom.
- Cover with lid, transfer to oven and bake 35-40 mins until chicken is cooked through.
- Stir through the olives, capers and parsley, and serve with crusty bread or pasta. Enjoy!