Crackling rolled pork leg roast
Serves: 6 | Preparation Time: 20 mins | Cooking Time: 2 hours
- 2kg Tasman pork leg roast (boned and rolled, rind on and scored)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1kg potatoes, peeled & halved
- 200g salad greens
- 2 small lebanese cucumbers, halved & sliced
- ½ cup green peas, cooked
- 100g smooth feta cheese, cubed
- 1 pomegranate, seeds removed
- 120ml balsamic dressing
- If time allows, leave the scored roast uncovered in the fridge for 1 hour, or ideally overnight. This process further dries the rind and aids the crackling process. Making crackling is easy, dry out your rind and preheat your oven prior to cooking.
- Preheat oven to 240⁰C.
- Remove pork leg roast from packaging taking note of weight and pat dry with paper towel.
- Place roast onto a wire rack in the kitchen sink and pour over a jug of boiling water. Pat the rind dry with paper towel.
- Rub the rind well with oil and sea salt massaging well into the scored areas.
- Place the pork leg roast on the wire rack into a deep roasting pan and place the leg roast into the preheated oven 240⁰C for 40 minutes. Do not open oven door during this period.
- Reduce oven temperature to 180⁰C for the remaining cooking time allow 30-35 minutes per kg. Add potatoes to the roasting pan.
- Remove pork from the oven and allow to rest in the roasting pan 10-15 minutes prior slicing.
- Serve pork hot with roasted potatoes and festive salad.