Crackling Pork Shoulder Roast with Apple Sauce
Serves: 4 | Prep time: 10 mins | Cook time: 2 1/2 hours
2 kg Tasman pork shoulder roast, skin on
coarse sea salt
vegetables to roast:
4 potatoes, halved
9 small red onions, peeled
3-4 wedges of pumpkin, seeds removed
4 carrots, peeled
apple sauce to serve
Preheat the oven to 240°C.
- Using a sharp knife, score the skin of the pork, being careful not to cut into the meat. Place the pork roast onto a wire rack in the sink and pour a jug of boiling water over the rind. Pat dry thoroughly with paper towel.
- Rub the whole piece of pork with olive oil and massage into the skin, then sprinkle generously with sea salt and rub over the scored skin.
- Place the roast onto a rack within a roasting pan and into the preheated over for 50 minutes or until the rind is golden crackling (take 10 minutes off the crackling time if your roast if over 2kgs).
- Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C and continue to cook the roast for 70 minutes (30-35 mins per kg of meat).
- When the pork has been roasting for 30 minutes, add the prepared vegetables to the roasting pan.
- Remove the roasted pork and vegetables from the oven and leave to rest for 15 minutes before serving. Serve with apple sauce. Enjoy!