Cumin Spiced Lamb Noodles
Serves: 4 | Preparation Time: 25 mins | Cooking Time: 5 mins
- 450 g Farm88 lamb loin chops, thinly sliced against the grain
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine (or dry sherry)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon peanut oil (or vegetable oil)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons whole cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons sichuan peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
- 1/2 cup chilli oil
- 3 tablespoons chinkiang vinegar (black vinegar)
- 1/4 cup Shaoxing wine (or dry sherry)
- 4 teaspoons light soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil (or vegetable oil)
- 8 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 “ (5 cm) ginger , minced
- 1 red onion , thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 1/2 bunch corriander , chopped
- 4 packets of your favourite noodles
1. Cook noodles as per packet instructions, set aside.
2. Pour cumin, Sichuan peppercorns, and coriander into a pan over medium-low heat. Stir often as you toast them until they release their aroma and start popping, roughly after 5 minutes.
3. Remove the spices from the heat and grind them to a semi-powdered consistency, using a mortar & pestle.
4. Mix together the lamb, Shaoxing wine, salt, oil, and two teaspoons of the ground spices. Incorporate the cornstarch, ensuring you mix by hand until the lamb is completely coated. Allow this to marinate for 15 minutes.
5. Add the marinated lamb and spread it into a single layer. Separate the individual slices with minimal overlapping.
6. Add the garlic, ginger and celery on top. Leave the lamb to sear for 30 seconds to a minute until the bottom is browned.
7. Once the lamb is browned on one side, stir occasionally until the lamb is mostly browned on both sides and the aromatics begin to turn golden. It’s OK if the inside of the lamb is still slightly pink.
8. Add the red onion and stir-fry for 10 to 20 seconds
9. Add the spice mix and toss to coat everything with the spices
10. Pour in the sauce and scrape the bottom of the pan to lift any caramelization. Stir fry for another 30 seconds.
11. Turn the heat off and add the coriander, stirring to incorporate. Transfer everything to a big plate so the lamb stops cooking.
12. Mix in the noodles and serve!