Christmas duck stuffing
Serves: 6 | Preparation Time: 30 mins | Cooking Time: 2hrs
Duck is always special! To make it more so for Christmas, serve it with this lovely stuffing, but don't stuff it into the duck. It will cause the duck to cook unevenly. Stuff the duck neck skin with it and you'll have perfect rounds of stuffing encased in delicious crispy skin.
500g duck bones or chicken bones, cut into small pieces
2 tsp Chinese 5 spice
3 granny smith apples, peeled and quartered
¾ cup good quality cider
1 tbs flour
3 clove garlic
1 stalk of celery
1 bouquet garni (bay leaf, thyme, parsley)
Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 210°C.
- Cut off the excess fat and wing tips. Prick all over with a fork.
- Rub the duck with the Chinese 5 spice.
- Season and put duck in a large roasting tray.
- Place one of the quartered apples into the cavity of the duck.
- Cook on high for 20 minutes. Now turn the oven to 180°C and baste the duck with its juices. Cook for 1 hour and 30 minutes basting 2 or 3 times during this cooking time. 20 minutes before its ready, add the remaining apples to the tray.
- While the duck is cooking make the cider gravy by placing bones, onions, garlic, carrot, celery, bouquet garni and a drizzle of olive oil in another baking dish.
- Cook in the oven for 30 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven and place tray on medium heat on the stove.
- Add the flour and cook off for 2 minutes.
- Now add the cider and scrape the bottom of the tray to release any caramelised parts. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Now add water to cover the bones and cook for 1 hour on a gentle simmer. Strain through a fine sieve reserve.
- Once the duck is cook remove from the oven and carefully remove all the apples.
- Allow the duck to rest in a warm area for 30 minutes. Now carve the duck and place on a large platter with the soft apples and gravy.