Fool Proof Roast Pork Belly
Serves: 4 | Preparation Time: 10 mins | Cooking time: 1 hr 15 min
- 1kg Pork belly
- 1 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoons flaked salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Remove your roast from the packaging and pat dry with paper towel. With a small sharp knife, deeply score the rind at 1cm intervals, being careful to not cut into the meat. If time allows, leave the scored roast uncovered in the fridge for 1 hour, or ideally overnight. This process further dries the rind and aids the crackling process.
2. When you’re ready to cook, put your pork on a wire rack in the sink and pour a jug of boiling water over the rind. Pat dry thoroughly with paper towel.
3. Rub the roast with the oil and salt (more if you like salty crackling), making sure the oil and salt penetrate the scores.
4. Place the roast on a wire rack inside a baking tray and cook at 240°C until the rind crackles and is golden brown, for up to 40 minutes.
5. Turn the oven down to 180°C and cook for 25 minutes.
6. Once cooked, let the roast rest for 10 minutes before slicing.