How to cook a beef girello roast
Serves: 4 | Preparation Time: 10 mins | Cooking Time: 40 - 70 minutes
- Preheat oven to 160ºC. Brush the beef roast lightly with oil and sear it on all sides over a moderately-high heat until evenly browned. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the beef on a rack in a roasting dish.
- Roast for 40-50 minutes for rare, 50-60 minutes for medium and 60-70 minutes for well done.
- For ease and accuracy use a meat thermometer.
- Remove the beef roast from the oven, loosely cover with foil and allow to rest for 10-15 minutes. Slice the beef thinly to serve.
Notes:Girello is Aussie or Italian for what is also called Eye of Round Beef in the US. It is one of those cuts of meat that have little to no fat marbling . Not suitable for low and slow as it's too lean. When roasting don't overcook it, serve medium rare - medium, otherwise it will be dry. It makes good jerky, slice it in thin strips lengthways. It is often sliced super thin and called minute steak. It takes marinade well, but don't cook it beyond medium or it will be dry.