Ham, tomato pesto and bocconcini arancini balls
Serves: 10 | Preparation Time: 45 mins | Cooking Time: 10 mins
- 200g Tasman leg ham, finely chopped
- 1 ½ cups arborio rice
- 40g butter
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cups hot chicken or vegetable stock
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp tomato pesto
- 10-12 mini Bocconcini cheese
- 4 tbsp tomato Pesto
- 1 cup plain flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup water
- 2 cups Panko crumbs
- Oil to fry
- Heat butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat and sauté rice, garlic & onion for 2-3 minutes.
- Gradually add the hot stock a little at a time until stock is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Stir in the chopped leg ham, Parmesan cheese & tomato pesto. Allow risotto to cool completely.
- Shape cooled risotto into balls and place on a lined oven tray.
- Using your thumb make a small indentation in the centre of each ball and insert a small amount of pesto and 1 tiny bocconcini cheese ball. Press and roll to enclose filling.
- Roll each ball in seasoned flour, dip in egg wash and roll in crumbs, repeat process and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Heat oil to 170⁰C and shallow fry arancini balls until golden turning frequently. Drain on absorbent paper and serve as required.
- These Arancini balls can be made and frozen in an air tight container for up to 6 months. Defrost in the refrigerator prior to frying.