Hawaiian huli BBQ chicken thigh
Serves: 12 | Preparation Time: 15 mins | Cooking Time: 15 mins +marinade overnight
- 24 Hazeldenes chicken thigh fillets (skin off) (about 3kg)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ¾ cup ketchup
- ¾ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- ⅓ cup sherry or chicken broth
- 2½ tsp minced fresh ginger root
- 1½ tsp minced garlic
- 1 can pineapple rings
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Rice to serve
- Marinade night before: In a small bowl, mix the brown sugar, ketchup, soy sauce, sherry or broth, ginger root & garlic. Reserve 1⅓ cups for basting; cover and refrigerate. Divide remaining marinade between 2 large shallow dishes. Add 12 chicken thighs to each; turn to coat. Refrigerate, covered, for 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain chicken, discarding marinade.
- Grill chicken, covered, on an oiled rack over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°C; baste occasionally with reserved marinade during the last 5 minutes. Add pineapple and cook, turning occasionally, until charred on all sides.
- Serve pineapple and grilled chicken together, with rice and garnished with green onions. Enjoy!