Herb crusted topside roast
Serves: 6 | Preparation time: 15 min | Cooking Time: 60mins
- 1.2kg Farm88 yearling beef topside roast
- 12 French shallots, peeled, halved
- 3 large carrots, peeled, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- ¼ cup fresh herbs (we used thyme, rosemary, oregano), finely chopped
- 1 ½ cups (375ml) beef stock
- ½ cup (125ml) red wine
- 800g potatoes, peeled, cut into 3cm pieces
- 20g butter, cubed
- ⅓ cup full-cream milk
- ¼ cup finely grated parmesan
- Steamed sugar snap peas and pre-made gravy, to serve
- Preheat oven to 240°C (220° fan-forced).
- Arrange shallots and carrots in a large roasting pan. In a small bowl combine oil, garlic, mustard and herbs. Season, stir to combine and spread over beef. Place beef on top of vegetables and pour stock and wine around the base.
- Place beef in oven and reduce heat immediately to 200°C (180° fan-forced). Roast in oven for 45 to 60 minutes, or until cooked to your liking, covering top of roast with foil if over browning. Remove roast from oven, set beef aside on a tray and cover with foil. Rest for 15 minutes. Return vegetables to oven for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain and return potatoes to saucepan. Season. Mash with butter and milk until smooth. Stir through parmesan.
- Slice beef and serve with shallots, carrots, parmesan mash, sugar snaps and gravy.
- The herb crust will work well on any beef roast cut.
- Use any combination of fresh herbs you like for the crust.
- For a creamier mash, add more milk.
Recipe kindly provided by Australian Beef