Immune-boosting chicken noodle soup
Serves: 6 | Preparation Time: 25 mins | Cooking Time: 2 hours 45 mins
- 1.5-2kg Hazeldenes fresh whole chicken
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 medium onions, cut into quarters
- 2 ½ medium carrots
- 3 x celery stick stalks
- 1 head of garlic, cut in half
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- Good handful of fresh parsley
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3.5L cold water
- Pasta of your choice
1. Generously season whole chicken with salt and place into a large pot.
2. Prepare the vegetables for the soup; cut onions into quarters, roughly cut 2 carrots and 2 of the celery stalks, cut the head of the garlic through the middle and place all the veggies into the pot.
3. Add in the peppercorns, bay leaves, parsley and thyme and cover with 3.5L of cold water.
4. Bring to slow boil and immediately reduce to simmer for roughly 30 minutes.
5. Remove the chicken and leave until cool enough to touch.
6. Remove as much skin as you can from the chicken. Remove the chicken wings and legs and carve the chicken breasts away from the breastbone. Set them aside.
7. Return the wings, legs and the carcass back to the soup, and continue to simmer for around 2 hours.
8. Meanwhile, shred the chicken breasts with two forks and set aside. Thinly slice the remaining ½ carrot and celery stick.
9. Remove the thighs and shred them. Strain soup into second pot, discarding bones, carcass, wings, and vegetables.
10. Once back on the stove, taste and season with salt accordingly. Then bring the chicken broth to a boil over medium high heat and add in the shredded chicken and vegetables and a pasta of your choice. Cook until pasta is ready.
11. Enjoy with some grated parmesan!