Indian sausage, lentil & potato one-pan
Serves: 4 | Preparation time: 10mins | Cooking Time: 30mins
- 8 thick Beef sausages
- 1 brown onion, thinly sliced
- 4 medium potatoes, scrubbed, cut into 3cm pieces
- 450g jar Tikka Masala curry simmer sauce
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ½ large bunch silver beet, trimmed, roughly shredded
- ¼ red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 400g can lentils, rinsed, drained
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds, toasted
- Natural yoghurt, coriander sprigs, lemon wedges, to serve
- Heat a large, lightly oiled, non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook sausages for 5-6 minutes or until browned on all sides. Set sausages aside on a plate.
- Respray pan with oil, if necessary, add onion and cook for 3-4 minutes or until slightly softened. Add potatoes and cook for 4-5 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Add simmer sauce and 2/3 of a cup of water. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and and cook for 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are nearly tender.
- Remove lid, return sausages to the pan with peas, silver beet and cabbage. Cook for a further 3-4 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove from heat, stir through lentils, replace lid and set aside for 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cumin seeds and serve with yoghurt, coriander and lemon wedges.
- Swap thick sausages for thin sausages
- Use your choice of curry simmer sauce – Rogan Josh, Korma, Balti or Vindaloo would also work well – available in the Indian section of the supermarket, Alternatively, use a combination of curry paste of your choice and stock instead of curry simmer sauce.
- Beef meatballs would also work will in this dish