Italian Casserole with Cannellini Beans
Serves: 4 | Preparation time: 20 minutes | Cooking time: 120 minutes
1 kg Tasman diced beef casserole steak
3 tbsp oil
2 brown onions, chopped
5 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tbsp flour
1 cup red wine
750g fresh ripe tomatoes, diced
2 bay leaves
1½ cup fresh oregano
500g Swiss mushrooms, sliced
1½ cup parsley, chopped
800g tinned cannellini beans
Steamed green beans
Top with shaved parmesan
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Heat 1½ tbsp oil in a heavy based pan, and brown beef evenly in 2-3 batches. Remove and place in a casserole dish.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add the remaining oil. Sauté onion and garlic. Slowly add the flour and stir for 1 min.
- Add red wine and simmer until reduced by ½. Add tomatoes, bay leaves and oregano.
- Stir until combined and add to the casserole.
- Place in oven and cook for 2 hrs or until meat is tender. In the last 30 mins add mushrooms, parsley and beans. Adjust seasoning to taste.