Lamb shank casserole
Serves: 6 | Preparation Time: 20mins | Cooking Time: 3hrs
- 6 Tasman lamb shanks
- 2 carrots finely diced
- 2 celery stalks finely diced
- 1½ cups red wine
- 800g can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 chicken stock cubes dissolved in 3 cups of water (gluten-free variety)
- 20ml garlic infused olive oil
- a few dried bay leaves and a teaspoon or 2 of dried thyme
- Preheat oven to 160°C fan forced or 180°C.
- Brown the lamb shanks in half the olive oil in a large oven and stovetop safe dish (that has a lid for use later). Remove shanks and set aside.
- Add left over oil and the celery and carrot. Heat through on medium heat until softened.
- Add the red wine, tomatoes, tomato paste and chicken stock liquid to the pan and stir well.
- Add herbs and return the lamb shanks back to the dish, ensuring most of the lamb is submerged.
- Bring to a simmer, cover with the lid, and put it in the oven for 2 hours.
- Remove the lid from the shanks and continue cooking for another 30 minutes.
- Serve with mashed potato or cauliflower purée.
Credit: Lisa @iatemyglutenfreeplate