Quick meat pie with mashed potato and mushy peas
Serves: 4 | Preparation Time: 15mins | Cooking Time: 45mins (depending on method)
4x Family Farm Meat Pies 6pk 900g Frozen (available at Tasman Butchers)
125g butter, plus 2 tablespoons for garnish
½ cup milk
½ cup sour cream
freshly ground black pepper
500g bag frozen peas
2 sprigs fresh mint
2 tbsp pure cream
1 tbsp lemon juice
Heating Instructions Conventional Oven:
- Preheat oven to 180°C (170°C fan forced).
- Remove pies from packaging and place on oven tray.
- Place oven tray on the middle rack of oven.
- If frozen, heat for 40 to 45 minutes. If thawed heat for 25 to 30 minutes. Microwave Oven (1200 Watt)
- Remove pie from pack, place on absorbent paper towel.
- Place into a microwave oven in the middle of turntable.
- Heat on high, if frozen for 3 1/2 minutes, if thawed for 2 minutes.
- Allow pies to stand for 3 minutes before serving.
- To achieve a crisp texture, place in a preheated oven at 170°C (fan forced) for 5 minutes.
- Remove pie from the plastic tray and place onto absorbent paper towel.
- Place into a microwave oven towards edge of turntable.
- Select "High" power.
- For frozen, heat for approximately 4½ minutes, turning half way through cooking, allowing an extra 2 minutes for each additional pie. If thawed, heat for approximately 3 minutes, allowing an extra 1 minute for each additional pie.
- Allow pie to stand for 2 minutes before serving.
- To achieve a crisp texture, transfer, transfer warm pie/s onto an oven tray and place in a preheated oven at 180°C (350°F) for 10 minutes.
- In a large pot, cover potatoes with water and add a generous pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and cook until totally soft, 16 to 18 minutes. Drain and return potatoes to pot.
- Use a potato masher to mash potatoes until smooth.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter and milk until warm.
- Pour over warm milk-butter mixture and stir until completely combined and creamy. Add sour cream and stir until combined.
- Season mashed potatoes generously with salt and pepper.
- Transfer potatoes to a serving bowl and top with remaining two tablespoons of butter. Season with more pepper before serving.
- Cook peas and mint in a large saucepan of boiling water for 5 minutes or until bright green and tender. Drain. Remove and discard mint.
- Transfer peas to a food processor. Add cream. Process until smooth. Add lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Process until combined.
- Spoon into a bowl. Serve.