Mediterranean style beef brisket with gremolata
Serves 6 | Preparation Time: 20 mins | Cooking Time: 150 mins
- 1.5 kg Farm88 beef brisket, fat trimmed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled, cut into 1cm dice
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1cm dice
- 1 red capsicum, cut into 1cm dice
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- ½ cup (125ml) beef stock
- 2 tbsp oregano leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp rosemary leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup (60g) pitted kalamata olives, sliced
- 1 cup parsley leaves, finely chopped
- Zest and juice 1 lemon
- Creamy polenta, steamed green beans, to serve
- Preheat oven to 170°C (150° fan-forced).
- Heat half the oil in a large casserole dish over medium-high heat. Season brisket and sear for 2 to 3 minutes each side or until browned. Set aside on a plate.
- Heat remaining oil over medium heat and cook half the garlic, onion, carrot, celery, capsicum for 4 to 5 minutes or until softened. Add tomatoes, stock, oregano, rosemary and vinegar. Return beef to dish, bring to the boil, cover and transfer to the oven. Season and cook for 2 to 2 ¼ hours, or until tender, basting brisket occasionally with sauce. Rest beef loosely covered with foil for 10 minutes before slicing. Stir olives through sauce, reducing on stovetop if desired.
- Meanwhile, place remaining garlic, parsley, lemon zest and juice in a small bowl. Season and stir to combine.
- Thinly slice brisket. Serve with sauce, polenta, gremolata and green beans.
- This recipe also is perfect for a rolled beef brisket.
- Swap polenta for creamy mash or sweet potato mash.
- Add some fresh chilli to the sauce for a spicier dish.