Mexican beef casserole
Serves: 6 | Preparation time: 15mins | Cooking Time: 180mins
- 1 kg Farm88 yearling beef diced casserole steak
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 cups (500ml) beef stock
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 120g baby spinach
- 1 tbsp Mexican spice mix
- 400g can red kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- Coriander leaves to garnish
- 2 corn on the cobs charred, kernels removed
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160° fan-forced). Place beef in a large snap lock bag or dish, add half the oil, season and mix well.
- Heat a large ovenproof casserole dish over medium-high heat. Brown the beef in 2 or 3 batches, setting beef aside on a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium and add remaining oil. Add onion, carrot, celery and cook, stirring, for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle in flour and Mexican spice mix, stir until vegetables are coated. Gradually pour in stock stirring well. Return beef to the pan with any juices, add tomatoes.
- Cover casserole dish, place in oven and cook for 2 hours, stirring occasionally, and adding extra water if necessary. Add kidney beans and cook for a further 30 minutes or until meat is tender. Add corn, set aside, covered, for 2 minutes.
- Serve with rice, salsa, coriander and lime wedges.
- The salsa can be shop bought or easily made with tomato, avocado and diced onion.
- Kidney beans can be substituted for black beans.