Mini chicken and mushroom pie
Serves: 4 | Preparation Time: 5 mins | Cooking time: 10 mins
- 5 Hazeldenes fresh chicken thigh fillets (skin off), cut into bite sized pieces
- 100g mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 knob of butter (2 tbsp)
- 1 large potato, cut into small cubes (par-steamed ahead of time)
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ½ celery sticks, finely chopped
- Fresh thyme
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 heaped tbsp seeded mustard
- ½ cup plain flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3-4 frozen puff pastry sheets
- 1 egg
1. Preheat the oven to 210°C.
2. Brown chicken in batches and set aside.
3. Brown mushrooms and set aside with the chicken.
4. Add butter and olive oil to the pan. Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic and cook until soft.
5. Add the chicken and mushrooms and par-cooked potatoes back to the pan. Add a few sprigs of fresh thyme and half a cup of white wine. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Add plain flour and cook off for a couple of minutes.
7. Add 1 heaped tbsp seeded mustard, then slowly add milk until the mixture reaches a thick consistency.
8. Prepare a large muffin tray for the mini pies by spraying with oil or butter.
9. Start by cutting pastry sheets into quarters and place each piece of pastry into the muffin trays.
10. Prepare the pie tops by cutting quarters from the pastry.
11. Place the chicken mixture into prepared pastry bases and top with pie tops, pinching the sides together. Make one small slit in the top of each pie top and brush lightly with egg wash.
12. Place in the oven and cook for 15 min.
13. Turn temp down to 175°C and cook for a further 10-15 minutes or until cooked.
14. Stand in pan 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!