Moroccan Lamb Shanks
Serves: 4 | Preparation Time: 15 min | Cooking Time: 2.5 hours
6 tbsp Golden Grange extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp plain flour
1 tsp salt
1 carrot, diced
4 cloves garlic, sliced
1 brown onion, sliced
2 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground cumin
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 x 400g can De Clemente diced tomatoes
1½ cups Moredough Kitchens premium beef stock
6 kipfler potatoes
2 tbsp butter
Salt and pepper to taste
Coriander and flat-leaf parsley, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Toss lamb shanks in flour and salt on all sides.
- Heat 4 tbsp of olive oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan. Brown the shanks all over for 3 minutes and transfer to a large casserole dish or Dutch oven. Clean frying pan and heat more oil and cook garlic, onion and carrot for 4 minutes or until tender.
- Add the paprika, cumin, ground coriander and pepper, and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the tomato paste, crushed tomatoes and stock. Pour into the casserole dish to cover the shanks. Cover with lid and cook in the oven for 2.5 - 3 hours, or until the meat is tender.
- In the last 30 minutes of cooking the shanks in the oven wash and cut the kipfler potatoes into quarters leaving the skin on and place in a large saucepan. Cover with plenty of cold water and place over high heat. Bring to the boil and cook, covered, for 10-12 minutes or until tender. Drain potatoes and add 2 tablespoons of butter and salt and pepper to taste, stir through.
- To serve place potatoes on plate and then put shank on top. Spoon over any extra sauce from the shanks and garnish with lots of chopped fresh parsley and coriander.