One Pot Chuck Casserole
Serves 4 | Preparation Time: 10 mins | Cooking Time: 120 mins
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Cut beef into 2.5cm-3cm cubes. Season with salt and pepper, add 2 tbsp oil, and mix well. Heat a large frypan over a medium-high heat. Brown the beef in 2 or 3 batches. Remove each batch and place in casserole dish.
- Reduce heat in the pan, add a little oil, add onions, celery and carrots, cook for 1–2 minutes, and stir occasionally.
- Sprinkle in the flour and stir until the vegetables are coated. Gradually pour in stock stirring well. Add the herbs, stir until the mixture boils. Add to the casserole dish with the olives, stir to combine. Cover the casserole dish, place in oven, and cook until the beef is very tender. Stir every 40 minutes or so, add water if needed to keep the ingredients just covered.
- Cooktop method: Place the browned beef and other ingredients in a heavy-based pot. Partially cover, keep the heat low. Simmer until the meat is very tender. Stir occasionally; add water or stock if needed during the cooking time to keep ingredients well covered.
- Taste your beef casserole to see if it’s ready. When it’s done the beef should be tender enough to flake or fall apart easily with a fork.
- Beef casserole cuts and approximate cooking times: Chuck or boneless shin/gravy beef - 2 to 2½ hours | Topside, round, blade - 1 to 1½ hours