Perfect Roast Beef
Serves: 6 Cooking Time: 1 hr 5 minutes plus resting time
1½ kg Tasman Yearling Beef Roast
2 medium onions
2 sticks celery
1 bulb of garlic
1 bunch of mixed herbs, such as thyme, rosemary, bay, sage
Golden Grange extra virgin olive oil
- Remove the beef from the fridge 30 minutes before cooking to let it come up to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 240oC.
- Wash and roughly chop the vegeatables, no need to peel. Break the garlic bulb into cloves, leaving them unpeeled also.
- Place all veggies, garlic and herbs into the middle of a large roasting tray and drizzle with oil.
- Drizzle the beef with oil and season well with sea salt and black pepper, then rub all over the meat. Place the beef on top of the vegetables.
- Place the tray in the oven, then turn the heat down immediately to 200oC and cook for 1 hour for medium beef. If you prefer it medium-rare, take it out 5 to 10 minutes earlier. For well done, leave it in for another 10 to 15 minutes.
- Prepare the seasonal vegetables and add them to the oven for the last 45 minutes of cooking.
- Baste the beef halfway through cooking and if the veg look dry, add a splash of water to the tray to stop them from burning.
- When the beef is cooked to your liking, take the tray out of the oven and transfer the beef to a board to rest for 15 minutes or so. Cover it with a layer of foil and a tea towel and leave aside while you make your gravy.
- Serve with seasonal veggies and gravy. Enjoy!