Persian-spiced lamb shanks
Serves: 4 | Preparation Time: 10mins | Cooking time: 4hr
- 4 x Farm88 lamb shanks
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cardamon
- 1 tsp dried rosebuds (optional)
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp saffron
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 strips of orange peel
- A few thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups hot chicken broth or water
- 2 tbsp roughly chopped parsley, for garnish
- 2 tbsp roughly chopped mint, for garnish
- Trim any excess fat, if needed, and generously season with salt.
- Mix spices, sprinkle all over the shanks and rub it into the meat. Let them sit at room temperature for at least an hour to marinate, or place in fridge overnight.
- Meanwhile, add saffron to the hot chicken broth & heat oven to 150oC.
- Place a pan over medium-high heat and add oil. When the oil is hot, cook the lamb shanks in batches until they are nicely browned on all sides, then place into a large baking dish.
- Add more oil to pan, add in bay leaves, thyme and onion and cook over medium heat until it becomes soft and lightly coloured. Season onion with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Place the onion mixture onto the lamb shanks.
- Place the orange zest on top of the shanks, followed by the chicken broth.
- Cover with foil and place in oven. Cook low and slow for 4 hours.
- Garnish with freshly chopped herbs and enjoy!