Sarah Tiong’s BBQ pulled pork sliders
Serves: 4 | Preparation time: 4 hrs | Cooking time: Slow-cooked pulled pork 4 hrs (see recipe) | Meal Options cooking time: 10 minutes
2.5-3kg Tasman pork shoulder
2 tbsp salt
2 tbsp ground toasted coriander seed
2 tbsp ground toasted fennel seed
2 tbsp ground toasted black pepper
2 large brown onions, finely chopped
5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1-2L Boiling water or stock
3 tablespoons oil
3-5 garlic cloves, finely grated
½ cup tomato sauce
¼ cup maple syrup
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
¼ cup white wine or apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 ½ tbsp smokey tabasco
1 cup Bourbon or Whiskey
1 cup water
Bread buns of choice
- Adjust oven rack to lower position and preheat oven to 150°C. Bring the stock or water up to a boil in a separate pot.
- Combine salt, sugar, coriander, fennel seed and black pepper in a small bowl and mix thoroughly. Season pork with spice mixture, making sure to rub it on all sides.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat on the stove. Once the oil is hot, add pork and cook, turning occasionally, until well browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Add the onion and garlic and mix well ( a Dutch oven is a covered earthenware or cast-iron container for cooking meat in).
- Turn off the stove and add boiling water or stock about ½ way up the shoulder in the Dutch oven. Place the Dutch oven into the oven and cook for 4 hours at 150°C.
- Transfer pork to a large bowl, reserving liquid in the Dutch oven. Skim off excess fat and discard.
- Using 2 forks, shred (be careful not to shred too finely as this can cause it to dry out).
Method BBQ for sliders:
- Whisk together the ingredients for the BBQ sauce. Combine with a few ladles of the reserved cooking liquid.
- In a large saucepan, heat up the BBQ sauce. Add the shredded pork and combine well. Season as needed.
- Serve burger style with slaw in a soft bun.
More meal options with pulled pork, see recipes here:
- Sarah Tiong’s Slow-cooked Pulled Pork
- Sarah Tiong’s Crispy Pulled Pork Tacos
- Sarah Tiong’s Pulled Pork Pasta
- Sarah Tiong’s Pulled Pork, Brussel Sprout & Apple Salad
Recipe kindly provided by Australian Pork