Roasted Eye Fillet of Beef with Bearnaise Sauce
Serves: 6 | Preparation time: 60 minutes | Cooking time: 60 minutes
2kg piece Tasman Yearling Beef Eye Fillet
salt, freshly ground black pepper
1 bunch spinach
12 flat muchrooms
6 medium-large pontiac desiree or potatoes
1/3 cup (80ml) white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp black peppercorns
2 green onions, chopped finely
3 egg yolks
150g unsalted butter, melted
- Beef fillet: Trim last 4cm from skinny end of tail. Paint with oil. Tuck thin end of tail underneath to even out thickness. Tie with string in 4-5 places to bind it into a firm 'log'. Grind over pepper and refridgerate for 6-8 hours or overnight.
- Spinach: Tear stems from spinach leaves and discard. Drop leaves into a bowl of water, rinse gently and drain. Transfer leaves to a stockpot and cook, covered over moderate heat for 5 minutes, stirring once or twice, until leaves have wilted. Drain in a colander and rinse with cold water to cool quickly. Squeeze dry and either refridgerate, covered until needed or put into a small saucepan with a nob of butter for a fast reheat.
- Mushrooms: Put mushrooms into a wide frying pan with butter, 1 cup water, salt and grinding of pepper. Cover and simmer for 10 mins. Set Aside.
- Two hours before dinner, remove meat from fridge.
- 1 1/2 hours before dinner, place potatoes onto oven rack and heat oven to 220oC.
- Bearnaise Sauce: Combine vinegar, peppercorns and onion in small saucepan, bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered about 5 minutes or until liquid has reduced by half. Strain over medium heatproof bowl; discard peppercorns and onion. Whisk yolks into liquid in bowl until combined. Set bowl over medium saucepan of simmering water; gradually whisk in melted butter in thin, steady steam until mixture thickens slightly. Remove from heat; stir in tarragon. Cover to keep warm.
- 1 hour before dinner, put meat into oven and cook for 20 minutes for rare meat or 30 minutes for medium. Remove meat, roll in a double sheet of foil and keep warm.
- To serve, unwrap meat. Retrieve crusty potatoes. Reheat spinach and mushrooms. Carve meat onto plates. Add the potatoes, mushrooms and spinach. Ladle over the sauce. Enjoy!