Roasted Rump with eggplant & caponata sauce
Serves: 4 | Preparation time: 15 min | Cooking Time: 50 minutes
- 800g Farm88 yearling beef whole rump (fat trimmed)
- 1 medium eggplant, trimmed, cut into 1.5cm dice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp basil pesto
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1.5cm dice
- 2 sticks celery, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 zucchini, cut into 1.5cm dice
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp baby salted capers, rinsed, drained, chopped
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- Soft polenta and basil leaves, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C or 180°C fan forced. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Place eggplant in a single layer on prepared tray, spray with olive oil. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden and tender. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, brush the beef with half the olive oil. Preheat a large non stick frying pan over a high heat. Cook beef, for 1-2 minutes each side or until browned. Transfer beef to a rack over a roasting dish. Brush top of beef with pesto, roast in preheated oven for 40 minutes for medium, or until 65°C on a meat thermometer. Remove, cover loosely with foil and set aside to rest for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a large non stick pan over a medium heat. Cook onion and celery, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and zucchini, cook for 2 minutes more. Add tomatoes, 60ml (1/4 cup) water, the roasted eggplant, capers, vinegar and sugar, stir to combine. Simmer for 5 minutes or until thick. Season with freshly cracked black pepper.
- Cut the beef, across the grain into slices of even thickness. Serve with the caponata, soft polenta and basil leaves.
- To make soft polenta bring 4 cups water to the boil in a large saucepan. Reduce heat to low, add 1 cup instant polenta in a slow steady steam. Cook, stirring for 6-7 minutes or until thick.