Southern spice rubbed beef brisket
Serves 6 | Preparation Time: 15 mins | Cooking Time: 230 mins
- 1.2 kg Farm88 yearling beef brisket
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup Cajun seasoning
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 650g chat potatoes
- ¼ cup aioli
- 400g pre-packed coleslaw
- 1 large green apple, quartered, cored, cut into matchsticks
- Lime wedges, finely chopped chives, to serve
- Preheat oven to 170°C (150°fan-forced). Place a lightly oiled baking rack over a roasting tray. In a small bowl combine half the oil, Cajun seasoning and maple syrup. Season and stir to combine. Pat brisket dry with paper towel. Place brisket in centre of baking rack. Rub brisket on all sides with Cajun rub. Pour 1 cup (250ml) water into roasting tray. Cover tightly with a layer of damp baking paper and a layer of foil. Place brisket in oven and cook for 3¼ -3½ hours or until tender, adding more water as necessary. Remove from oven and rest for 15-20 minutes before thinly slicing across the grain. Strain any pan juices and reserve.
- Meanwhile, cook potatoes in a microwave safe container for 4-5 minutes on HIGH (100%) or until tender. Set aside to cool slightly. Halve potatoes and place in a large bowl. Add aioli, season and toss to coat. In a separate large bowl place coleslaw and apple. Drizzle with remaining oil, season and toss to coat.
- Serve brisket and any strained pan juices with potato salad, coleslaw and lime wedges. Sprinkle with chives.
- You can cook the brisket in a hooded barbecue over medium heat – prepared as per the recipe.
- Maple syrup (sugar) cuts the heat of the Cajun spice so adjust to your taste – add extra chilli powder or cayenne pepper for more heat.
- Any leftover brisket is delicious on sandwiches with coleslaw and mayonnaise.