Spicy Italian pork meatballs
Serves: 4 | Preparation time: 20 mins | Cooking time: 40 mins
1kg Tasman pork mince
1 cup bread crumbs
½ bunch continental parsley, chopped
1 tsp Italian herb seasoning
1 lemon, zested
Salt and pepper to taste
4 tbsp olive oil
1 litre tomato Passata (pasta sauce)
½ cup sliced green olives
500ml chicken stock
1 tbsp chilli flakes (optional)
100g tomato paste
Fresh crusty bread
Rocket leaf salad
Shaved Parmesan cheese
Chopped fresh parsley
- In a large bowl combine the pork mince, bread crumbs, Italian herb seasoning, lemon zest, salt & freshly ground black pepper. Mix well.
- Using wet hands, shape the mixture into 12 equal sized meatballs, place meatball on a tray and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large deep frying pan over medium heat and carefully brown the meatballs on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- In a deep saucepan, combine the tomato passata sauce, chilli flakes, olives, chicken stock and tomato paste.
- Heat the tomato sauce mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly until the liquid boils. Reduce heat to a simmer.
- Carefully place the meatballs into the simmering sauce, cover and simmer over low heat for a further 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve 3 meatballs with sauce in each serving bowl. Sprinkle with shaved Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley. Serve hot with fresh crusty bread and rocket sald.
Note: If you are gluten free replace the breadcrumbs with rice crumbs or gluten free breadcrumbs.
Recipe kindly provided by Australian Pork