Sarah Tiong's Sticky Pork Belly
Serves: 4 | Preparation Time: 10 mins | Cooking Time: 40 minutes
1kg pork belly rashers, cut into 2cm width squares
15g piece ginger, thinly sliced
1 litre stock or water
5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 eschalot, finely sliced
2 star anise
2 cinnamon sticks
3 tablespoons light soy sauce
1 tablespoons dark soy sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 bunch of green basil, leaves only
3 long red chillies, sliced
pepper to taste
- Add some oil to a work or large fry pan and heat on medium-high heat.
- Once the wok or pan is hot, add in the pork belly squares, sliced eschalot, garlic and half of the sliced ginger.
- Fry until the pork belly is lightly caramelised.
- Add in the dark and light soy sauce, sugar and 2 of the sliced chillies (adjust heat to your liking). Combine well.
- Add in the water or stock and bring up to the boil. Reduce heat to a simmer for 30 minutes until the liquid has reduced.
- Turn off the heat, mix in the basil leaves and remaining chilli slices.
- Serve with steamed rice. Delicious!