Traditional roast lamb
Serves: 8 | Preparation Time: 20 mins | Cooking Time: 1hr 40 mins
2kg Tasman whole leg of lamb
¼ cup olive oil
1 tbsp chopped rosemary leaves
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1.5kg chat potatoes
- Preheat oven 200°C or 180°C if fan forced.
- Lightly grease roasting pan. Combine oil, rosemary and garlic in a bowl. Rub half the oil mixture over lamb. Season with salt and pepper. Roast for 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 180°C or 160°C if fan-forced. Roast lamb, basting with remaining oil mixture every 20 minutes, for 1 hour 15 minutes for medium or until cooked to your liking.
- Add potatoes to pan for the last 40 minutes, turning halfway through cooking.
- Remove lamb from oven. Cover loosely with foil. Stand for 10 minutes. Carve. Serve with potatoes.
Basic Gravy Recipe:
- Transfer meat (and any vegetables) to a plate to rest.
- Combine 2 cups beef stock and ¾ cups red wine in a jug.
- Skim fat from roasting pan, leaving 1 ½ tablespoons pan juices and fat in pan.
- Place pan over high heat. Add flour. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 1-2 minutes or until mixture bubbles and becomes golden.
- Add juices from resting meat. Slowly add stock mixture to pan, stirring constantly. Cook, scraping pan, for 8-10 minutes or until thickened. Enjoy!