Winter Immune-Boosting Chicken Soup
Serves: 6 | Preparation Time: 15mins | Cooking Time: 2 hours +
1 kg of chicken necks, or Hazeldenes chicken drumsticks (or any type of chicken with bones - the minerals will be drawn out of the bone and into the soup to make it super nutritious)
1 whole knob garlic, each clove peeled and cut in half
4 whole onions, peeled and cut into quarters
3 whole carrots, unpeeled and chopped into large pieces
5 stalks of celery, chopped roughly
5 spring onions, roots removed and chopped into 5 cm pieces
1 palm sized knob of ginger, peeled and sliced roughly
- Cover the ingredients with cold water until completely submerged.
- Place soup on a low heat and cover with lid. Bring to a low simmer and leave slowly bubbling for at least 2 hours and up to 6. (If the soup is boiling, the heat is too high.)
- As the meat proteins rise to the top, skim and discard the top of the soup, every hour.
- Taste the soup, and add a sprinkling of salt/soy sauce/tamari if needed.
- Remove the chicken necks from the soup with tongs. Pick the meat from the bones and add the meat back into the soup. Or, leave the necks in the soup and serve as is.
- To get the most out of the soup, eat it all and if you can, the whole ginger, garlic and onion pieces!
- Add cooked noodles if you wish, for a totally satisfying, nutritionally complete dish.
- You can also strain this soup (and freeze) to use as a natural and delicious chicken stock for all your cooking.