Hearty Beef Goulash
Serves: 4 | Preparation Time: 20 mins | Cooking Time: 2 hours 30mins
700g Tasman Yearling Beef Diced Casserole Steak
4 tbsp olive oil
30g plain flour
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 green pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
1 red pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
2 tbsp tomato purée
2 tbsp paprika
2 large tomatoes, diced
75ml dry white wine
300ml beef stock, home-made or shop-bought
2 tbsp flat-leaf parsley leaves
150ml soured cream
- Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a flameproof casserole dish or heavy-based saucepan. Sprinkle 700g stewing steak chunks with 30g plain flour and brown well in three batches, adding an extra 1 tbsp oil for each batch. Set the browned meat aside.
- Add in the remaining 1 tbsp oil to the casserole dish, followed by 1 large thinly sliced onion, 2 finely chopped garlic cloves, 1 green pepper and 1 red pepper, both finely sliced. Fry until softened, around 5-10 mins.
- Return the beef to the pan with 2 tbsp tomato purée and 2 tbsp paprika. Cook, stirring, for 2 mins.
- Add in 2 large diced tomatoes, 75ml dry white wine and 300ml beef stock. Cover and bake in the oven for 1 hr 30 mins - 2 hrs. Alternatively, cover and cook it on the hob on a gentle heat for about an hour, removing the lid after 45 mins.
- Sprinkle over 2 tbsp flat-leaf parsley leaves and season well with salt and freshly ground pepper. Stir in 150ml soured cream and serve.