Classic beef mince lasagne
Serves: 4 | Preparation time: 20mins | Cooking Time: 50mins
500g Tasman regular beef mince
9 dried lasagne sheets
1/3 cup grated mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped or grated
1 stick celery, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
140g carton tomato paste
1 cup tomato passata
1 cup Massel chicken style liquid stock
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 cup plain flour
- Make bolognese: Heat oil in a heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes, or until tender. Add mince. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until browned. Add tomato paste, pasta sauce, stock, wine, oregano, nutmeg, and salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, uncovered, for 35 to 45 minutes or until thick. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease a 6cm deep, 29cm x 20cm (base) lasagne dish.
- Melt butter in a heavy-based saucepan over medium-high heat. Add flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes, or until mixture is bubbling. Remove from heat. Slowly add milk, stirring until mixture is smooth. Return to heat. Cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until mixture comes to the boil.
- Spoon a little bolognese sauce into base of baking dish. Top with 3 sheets of pasta. Spoon over half the remaining bolognese sauce. Top with one-third of the white sauce. Spread evenly over bolognese. Repeat pasta, bolognese and white sauce layers. Top with final layer of pasta. Spoon remaining white sauce over pasta sheets. Spread evenly. Sprinkle with cheeses.
- Bake lasagne, uncovered, for 30 to 35 minutes, or until pasta is tender and top is golden. Stand for 10 minutes before serving.